Resolutions for 2010

  • #1 Raise $10,000 For My Husbands Garage
  • #2 Spend 1 Year Without Cable Television
  • #3 Spend a 24 Hour Period in Complete Silence
  • #4 Loose 15lbs By Memorial Day Weekend
  • #5 Listen to only Christian radio stations
  • #6 Read the entire Bible
  • #7 Conquer my Diet Coke addiction

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Progress of #2, The Butt Marks in the Couch Are Beginning to Fade,and 5 Other Reasons Why Turning Off the Cable Was the Best Resolution I Ever Made


Picture to the left: This is how the kids are copeing with no cable..they are "playing" TV hahaha!! And here is how I am Copeing with no cable:
1. I am sleeping longer and better. I am no longer force feeding myself caffeine on school nights because I believe the announcer when he tells me to stay tuned for the best part of the sitcom coming up, “right after this commercial break.” Also, because of the lack of visual stimuli, I have found that my brain calms down quicker and I am asleep in less than 5 minuets after I lay down. I am sleeping more soundly as well. I hardly dream at all now, thanks again to the lack of TV images my brain has to process.

2. My kids and I can get ready for school/work in 45 minuets vs. the usual hour and a half. There is no more fighting in the morning over PBS or Nickelodeon. There is no more of me repeating, “Please get dressed” for the millionth time to my half naked couch potatoes.

3. I no longer have to explain to my kids what that woman on the TV is doing with no clothes on (thanks Victoria’s Secret), and I no longer have to explain to them (at 4 o’clock in the afternoon) why that one girl is kissing two boys, and I no longer have to wonder myself what a threesome has to do with a Dolce and Gabbana wrist watch.

4. Sponge Bob doesn’t wake me up on Saturday mornings…the kids laughter does.

5. “Your eye is a lamp for your body. A pure eye lets sunshine into your soul. But an evil eye shuts out the light and plunges you into darkness” Matthew 6:22-23. Basically, everything you see, hear, and experience becomes a part of your soul. Surround yourself with good, and good will live within you, surround your self with bad, and bad will live within you. This can be applied to our daily lives in many ways, for me it was T.V. and music. Not that I was watching and listening to horribly violent or sexually explicit TV and music to begin with, but now that these forms of entertainment have been removed from my home, I realize now, just how much of what I saw and heard had become a part of my daily thoughts, feelings and moods in a negative way.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my blog. Wow, that is an ambitious list of resolutions you have! I hope you reach all your goals. I have to read about 3 1/2 pages in my Bible to finish by the end of the year, since I was already in Numbers when I started.

    About listening only to Christian radio, I used to hate Christian radio stations because I thought the presented a false face of Christianity - you know, life isn't always positive and happy and whatnot. But things changed. Now my car radio and alarm clock are tuned to my local Christian station and I love listening to it. I don't love every single song, but I think that overall I am more peaceful and focused on God because of it.

    ReplyDelete