Resolutions for 2010

  • #1 Raise $10,000 For My Husbands Garage
  • #2 Spend 1 Year Without Cable Television
  • #3 Spend a 24 Hour Period in Complete Silence
  • #4 Loose 15lbs By Memorial Day Weekend
  • #5 Listen to only Christian radio stations
  • #6 Read the entire Bible
  • #7 Conquer my Diet Coke addiction

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Here’s Why Numbers 1, 2 and 7 are in Direct Conflict With #4 (loosing 15lbs)


So, I might have to change resolution number four to: Loose 900lbs before Memorial Day weekend, if I continue on the path I am currently on. But it’s not my fault, I have plenty of lame excuses as to why I am not loosing the weight.

Lame Excuse #1. My number one resolution is to save money. One of the ways I am accomplishing this is by setting our thermostat to 69 degrees. Now I don’t know about anyone else, but I was born and raised in a desert. Anything below 80 is what I consider freezing, so you can imagine the torture of 69 degrees. Freezing compels my body to crave fatty foods in order to pump up my fat cells (and probably add a few more) to keep me warm. After all, I am a mammal and most mammals have two jobs in the winter: to get fat and to hibernate. So I could legitimately argue that biology is preventing me from loosing weight.

Lame excuse #2 You would think that not having TV would keep me from eating, but in my case it has done the exact opposite. You see, when I did have TV, I never ate in front of it, because I am some what of a clean freak and I don’t want spills on the carpet or couch. So now that I am TV free, I am going through a bit of a boredom phase. Sure there’s the internet, but my computer is in the dining room…by the food. And there is only so much cooking, cleaning, and child rearing I can do before I need some down time. So now my down time is spend raiding the pantry.

Lame Excuse #3 My food down fall has always, and will always be sweets. In the past, I was able to control this mostly by Diet Coke. It has just enough artificial sweeteners to trick my brain into thinking it’s had a treat when really I have consumed no calories at all. This gets a little tricky when I am trying to conquer my diet coke addiction and I have significantly reduced my D.C. intake. I have tried to counteract this by drinking tea with Splenda, but I am missing the fizziness (I think I just invented that word) of my Diet Coke. I think part of the problem I am having is that I am trying to fill the void in me left by Diet Coke. Some food addicts experience an emotional void and try to fill it with food, no not me, I have a Diet Coke void and am trying to fill it with sweets.

Not-So-Lame Excuse #4 It has been cloudy and raining for four days now ( a phenomenon in Southern California)! This creates a multitude of problems for me. First of all, that means I cannot go on my daily 5 mile walk. Secondly, I am majorly lacking in vitamin D from going without the UV exposure I am so desperately accustomed too. Third, the darkness is making me depressed which makes me want to eat. And lastly, the darkness is making my body think it is bed time which makes me tired and lazy.

So I have reached my first major stumbling block in completing my New Years Resolutions list. Maybe I will gain some momentum again when the weather changes…but until then, I am off to the pantry.

2 comments:

  1. 1) Get a Snuggie
    2) I don't know if this will work, but try drinking water when you feel like eating. Most people are so used to eating that we don't recognize thirst. But if it's just out of boredom, I'm not sure I can help you because I eat when I'm bored too. I know, make a scrapbook! Except that might interfere with your first resolution. Scrapbooks are expensive.
    3) Make a smoothie instead. In college, I compensated for my lack of dessert by making a chocolate banana milkshake almost every day. About 1 cup of milk, 1 banana (preferably frozen), 1-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, and maybe a pinch of sugar depending on how ripe the banana is. It is so good! But there are lots of really yummy smoothies. I actually bought a book of smoothie recipes and they are delicious.

    4) That one's tough. Maybe check out some exercise tapes from your local library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Zoe. I have a snuggie, and I totaly forgot about the computer scrapbooking program I have, and have not updated in about a year. I will have to attempt your smoothy recipe minus the bannana, I'm alregic.

    ReplyDelete